Hard and Simple Things has Moved!!

HARD AND SIMPLE THINGS HAS MOVED!! Please go to www.Sieverkropp.com and subscribe to receive the latest posts!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

iPhone: Modern day Miracle!

I was sitting in the "Preach My Gospel" class we have in our ward this past Sunday and we were talking about Chapter 4, "Recognizing the Spirit". As the conversation went on, we began talking about promptings. Various members of the class talked about what the Spirit felt like to them, how the Spirit influenced them etc. A ways into this discussion, I had a thought pop into my head. It is this thought that I want to address today.
One definition of miracle is, "an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause." (Dictionary.com).
What are some things we would consider miracles? The healing of one who was sick? Help with finances or other concerns seemingly out of nowhere? The Mariners winning the World Series? (sorry, couldnt help it, haha).
These and other events like them "surpass all known human or natural powers". But we know that things like healings, help, etc. are not beyond the power of our Heavenly Father. With this in mind, my definition of a miracle would be, "an event that is beyond human comprehension, but is understood by God and adheres to natural law." I have an iPhone. If I could hop into a time machine with Marty McFly and Doc and go back 500 years...heck, even 100 years...probably even 30 years and show someone my iPhone, would they consider what it can do a miracle? I'd venture to say probably...especially the people 500 years ago. Being able to talk to people a world away, to fit books into such a small device, music, camera, and a million other things--all would be probably be beyond the comprehension of someone in 1511!
So is my iPhone a miracle? Is talking to someone in Europe instantly a miracle? Is having multiple books, scriptures, etc on my phone a miracle? Are recordings of music and video a miracle? I would venture to say that most of us today dont really think so, but I think they are!! We are just so used to such technology that we take it for granted!
Now let me ask you this question...Are promptings received from the Spirit miracles? I say absolutely! But just like our smartphones and every other piece of technology we have today, we are so used to it that we take it for granted!!
I think that you and I, as we live right, are guided and prompted by the Spirit way more than we realize! Like our smartphones, we're just accustomed to such revelation that it is commonplace to us. DON'T TAKE REVELATIONS FROM THE SPIRIT FOR GRANTED!!! I know I'm guilty of this in my life.
The challenge was given in that class today to spend the next 7 days asking yourself, "How has the Lord prompted me today? How have I seen the hand of God in my life today?" If you'd like to take that challenge I'm sure you will find that your Heavenly Father is very much involved in your life! I'd wager that you'll come to understand just how much He cares about you and wants your happiness. I know that we'll be reminded of what a miracle it is to have the God of the Universe as a very personal part of our lives! And that revelation will change how we think, speak, and act!
I know Christ lives. I know that our Heavenly Father is truly there for us, in good times, as well as bad. I know like any good parent, He is there, patiently waiting for us to seek His counsel and guidence, though he will never force us to do what is right!!

No comments:

Post a Comment